Benefits of Rock Climbing for Health19 July 2018
Rock climbing is not for the faint hearted. It is physically demanding and is a true test of strength, endurance and agility. As well as being potentially dangerous. However, it comes with a number of powerful health benefits. Which we have outlined in this post.
What ways can rock climbing be beneficial to my health?
Develop cardio and strength. Rock climbing helps increase heart rate, muscles and stamina. And also upper body strength. The activity is equivalent to running between 8 and 11 minutes per mile.
Strengthening and toning of muscles. Multiple muscles are used during rock climbing. And it has been proven that rock climbers have low BMIs, body fat and increased hand grip strength.
Increased flexibility. Rock climbing helps increase your flexibility and adaptability. And can also improve good circulation.
Improved mental ability. Climbing can develop problem solving skills. Because You have to determine a number of factors. It also develops a high level of hand-eye coordination.
Stress reduction. Rock climbing releases a neurotransmitter proven to decrease stress. And becoming immersed in this activity helps reduce stress even further. Vitamin D intake is also increased due to the outdoor nature of the activity.
Weight loss. Rock climbing can burn up to 818 calories an hour. Which may help you lose up to two pounds a week.
Reduced risk of chronic disease. Climbing reduces risk of chronic disease thanks to its intense and vigorous nature. Risk of diseases such as heart disease and high blood pressure are reduced.
Witness breathtaking scenery. When a climber reaches the summit, this provides a breathtaking view. Which can provide happiness and excitement. Moreover, a sense of accomplishment and reward follows. As a result of the hard work invested.
Reduces fear. Fear in life can be restrictive, stopping us from doing what we want in life. Rock climbing can be a good way to overcome this. Particularly fear of heights. Ultimately confidence and self esteem can be boosted.
Self challenging. Rock climbing can push you out your comfort zone by completion of complex challenges. Once completed, climbers are ambitious about their next adventure.
Rock climbing is highly beneficial for your health. In this post, we have outlined the number of ways rock climbing can do this. In summary:
- Helps work out all parts of your body and strengthen your muscles.
- Helps you build muscle groups and strengthens/tones muscles.
- Allows you to become more flexible and adaptable. And increases circulation.
- Improves mental strength and coordination.
- Reduces stress and increases levels of vitamin D from the sun.
- Can help you to lose up to two pounds a week
- Reduces your risk of developing chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Allows you to witness breathtaking scenery when you reach the summit.
- Good way to reduce fear experienced in life. Specifically fear of heights.
- Allows you to step outside your comfort zone and makes you ambitious.
Would you be interested in rock climbing with North East OA?
North East OA offer a number of rock climbing courses of varying duration and are suited to individuals right through to large groups. Contact us today to arrange your booking.